The Algarve Tourism Bureau is the only Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) appointed by the Portuguese National Tourism Board to promote the Algarve Region and its touristic products within overseas markets, thus establishing partnerships with both public and private sector to achieve this goal, such as joint marketing campaigns with Tour operators and airlines, press and fam trips, destination trainings, trade shows, tourism fairs etc.
Being funded by both government and private sectors we can be considered as the official regional tourism board as well as a trade association, as far as Destination Marketing Organizations are concerned.
WHAT WE DO
To follow is a list of some of the activities undertaken by the ATA as a means of promoting the Algarve on overseas markets:
- Participation in the sector’s main international fairs (eg. Fitur, ITB, WTM, Vakantiebuers and IGTM, in addition to other international events aimed at specific tourism products)
- Organisation and support for tour operator and travel agency familiarisation trips
- Organisation of educational visits for the international press
- Organisation of roadshows on strategic markets
- Organisation of workshops with the travel trade in the Algarve, taking advantage of the presence of overseas trade professionals visiting the destination
- Support for overseas trade professionals, by means of hard-sell campaigns
- Development of Advertising Campaigns for overseas markets using a variety of supports (TV, press, internet, outdoors, buses, taxis, muppies, etc…)
- Support for airlines setting up new routes into Faro Airport
- Support for international events of major importance to the tourism industry and offering opportunities for media coverage for the Algarve